How do you know what to look for in a real estate advisor? You want someone that you can trust and someone that is easy to work with. After all, you don't want to put your home in just anyone's hands! We've made a helpful list for you to use when you're looking for someone to handle your real estate needs.
Here’s 10 things to look for in a real estate advisor:
1. Choose someone that is adaptable to client needs. Your real estate advisor should be able to adapt to what you need and make you their focus. They should also be well aware of the time frame that you are working with. If you need to sell or buy a home quickly, they need to be able to adjust their schedule to accommodate you and work with your unique situation.
2. Choose someone that is a good listener. You should be doing most of the talking when you meet with your advisor. They should be asking you most of the questions, and not the other way around. If your real estate advisor does most of the talking and doesn’t take the time to listen to your needs and goals, that’s a warning sign. An advisor that is client-focused will take the time to understand you and your real estate goals.
3. Choose someone that is a good communicator. This can be one of the most frustrating things when working with a real estate agent. You need someone that communicates with you frequently about updates on your selling or buying status. The real estate business is time-sensitive, so it is in your best interest to use an agent that is prompt to respond and quick to inform you of important information.
4. Choose someone that is honest and ethical. Professionalism is so important when using a real estate advisor. Look for someone that has had a long career and a good reputation. Without a good reputation, it is impossible to have a long and successful real estate career.
5. Choose someone that is knowledgeable and has local expertise. You need a real estate advisor that has years of experience and knowledge about the local real estate market. Look for someone that keeps up with trends and stays up-to-date by continuing their education and expanding their network.
6. Choose someone that is proactive and motivated. You shouldn't have to be the one to call your real estate advisor; they should be proactive to call you and potential buyers, continually following up with new leads. You need a real estate agent that thinks and acts for you- after all, that’s why you're using them. You should never have to "help" or motivate your realtor. Look for someone that has a high level of energy and a proven work ethic.
7. Choose someone that is highly organized and pays attention to detail. It takes a highly organized person that can handle all of the aspects of being a realtor. It won't take long to figure out how organized a person is. Notice how intently they listen to what you say, how quickly they respond to you, and how they follow up with you.
8. Choose someone that is technological and internet savvy. In the society that we live in, you simply must find an advisor that is able to use technology well to market your home. Look for someone that knows how to use the internet with ease.
9. Choose someone that has connections and a vast network. The reason people use real estate agents is because of their ability to market your home to a network, or find you a home within a network. An advisor with a longer career will have more connections. Look for someone that has a vast network of both potential buyers and sellers, but also appraisers, home inspectors, and mortgage loan officers.
10. Choose someone that has flair – a person that is well put-together, tactful, and has a great personality. Generally, people buy houses from people that they like. Look for someone that is personable and has a great attitude- someone that is genuinely interested in homes and real estate.
Our Engel and Völkers advisors meet all of the criteria listed above and more. They are more than just agents, but performers with proven track records and real estate professionals who are well respected within the community. They have a deep understanding of client service. We designate our agents as “advisors” to better define the higher level of service they provide. They are the experts who can provide unique insights about the real estate market and accurately price your home in the context of both historical and most recent market data. Advisors provide more than facts. They will see to every detail throughout the process and negotiate on your behalf to give you the greatest peace of mind.
Give our office a call at 225-218-0888 to speak with an Engel and Völkers advisor today!