Sure, apple pie is delicious—but after eating it all season long we welcome any variation that can spice up the holiday table. This apple streusel features tart cranberries and creamy tapioca in the filling for decadence in every bite. Just add a scoop of honey camembert ice cream and you’re good to go!
Ingredients: For the crust
Ingredients: For the filling
Ingredients: For the streusel
- Mix together the flour and salt, then cut in the butter and shortening with a pastry cutter or a fork until the it resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Stir together 3 tablespoons of cold water and vinegar. Add it to the flour mixture, and stir with a fork until a smooth dough forms, adding more cold water in ½-tablespoon increments if needed. Form the dough into ball, dust it with flour, and roll it into an 11-inch circle. Center a 9-inch pie plate on the crust and trim and crimp the edge.
- Mix the apples, cranberries, white sugar, tapioca, and flour in a large bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- For the streusel topping, combine butter, flour, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor until crumbly.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Crumble and sprinkle the streusel evenly over the filling.
- Bake the pie for about 20 minutes at 375°F. Reduce oven temperature to 350 and continue baking until the streusel is lightly browned and the filling is bubbling underneath (about 40 minutes). If the streusel starts to brown too deeply, place a loose sheet of foil over the pie. Let cool before slicing.
Note: This pie will remain fresh if covered tightly with plastic wrap, left on the counter for up to 2 days.
American Lifestyle Magazine